Mark wrote:

> Adding decimal to Rhino would presumably build on the BigDecimal
> class already present in Java. Is Java's BigDecimal class
> sufficiently conformant to the relevant IEEE spec to support a
> conformant implementation of the decimal proposed for EcmaScript?

It follows the same arithmetic rules, but is not a complete implementation
of IEEE 754 (in particular, it does not have Infinity and NaNs, or
malleable exponent range limits, and hence its overflow/exception cases
are different.  Sun were talking of either extending it or providing a
wrapper class which used it yto provide exact IEEE 754 conformance, but I
do not know the status of that work item.

> And is the implementation sufficiently independent of the
> implementation the IBM guys might add to WebKit or Spidermonkey to
> count as a cross check on the spec?

Well, I wrote most of the Java 5 extensions to BigDecimal (including the
MathContext support, etc.), so one might argue that it's not particularly
independent.  However, it is a completely different implementation,
historically.

> IBM guys, would you be interested in contributing such a decimal
implementation to Rhino?

BigDecimal is 'owned' by Sun, so not really something we could contribute.

Mike

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.