On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 5:07 PM, Michael Alestock wrote:

I have Ethereal v0.9.14 and WinPcap v3.0 installed on my Windows 98SE
laptop....When I goto 'start' a 'capture', either I'll get the dreaded BLUE
SCREEN, or my laptop will reboot. I uninstalled my previous versions of
WinPcap and Ethereal before I installed the newer ones. Any suggestions as
to what my problem might be??

A Windows 98 bug, a WinPcap bug, or an Ethereal bug.

Try downloading WinDump:

http://windump.polito.it/

and doing a capture with it. If the system crashes when you do that, it's either a Windows 98 bug or a WinPcap bug; you should contact the WinPcap developers about it:

http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

Note the detailed instructions on that page, which include downloading a special debugging library; follow them before reporting the problem to the WinPcap developers.