On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:36:53PM -0600, rpucket wrote:
> So by going through a process of elimination I discovered that I only needed
> TCP disabled to open the file.  If I re-enabled TCP, Ethereal again crashes
> after processing ~20% of the file.  This is still the case whether or not
> the diameter protocol is enabled.

Given that the Diameter dissector is called only from TCP or SCTP, then,
if you disable TCP, it's irrelevant whether Diameter is enabled or not
unless you have SCTP traffic to port 1812 in your capture.

As Martin Regner noted, turning off the TCP dissector also means that
dissectors called only from the TCP dissector also will, in effect, be
disabled - and even dissectors that can be called from other dissectors
won't be called if the protocols those dissectors are for are being used
only over TCP in the capture.  And even if traffic for those protocols,
running over protocols other than TCP, is in your capture, if that
traffic doesn't trigger a bug that causes a crash, disabling TCP will
prevent the crash even if the crash isn't in the TCP dissector.

> The thing is, if I opened my other dumps, Ethereal did not crash even with
> everything enabled.

Your other dumps presumably don't have a packet that happens to trigger
the crash.