On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 04:54:01PM +1000, Michael Ribbons wrote (in
HTML; not everybody's mail-reading tool handles HTML well, so use
plain-text mail whenever possible):

> Thanks Martin, I think it's an issue with WinPcap since I'm running
> w2k on a dual cpu machine.  I had WinPcap 3.0 alpha 4 installed and as a
> test I removed it then ran Ethereal again - Guess what it didn't notify
> me of an error.  How do I tell Ethereal which WinPcap to use?

By having only the one you want it to use installed.

WinPcap doesn't support having more than one version installed.  Perhaps
you somehow ended up having more than one installed, so that you could
remove WinPcap 3.0 alpha 4 and still have WinPcap installed, but that's
not supported - they very explicitly say that you should uninstall older
versions before installing newer versions:

        http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm

"WARNING: you must uninstall older versions (see Q-2 in the FAQ to know
how) and reboot the system before installing the new ones, otherwise
WinPcap could not work properly."

Note that versions of WinPcap earlier than 3.0 aren't supported on
dual-CPU machines; neither we nor the WinPcap developers can help you if
you run 2.x on a dual-CPU machine.

Note also that the final version of 3.0 has been released, so you should
be running that rather than 3.0 alpha 4.