Hi Nyal --

Kppp is located (usually) in /opt/kde/share/apps. I use Slackware 7.0
and I seem to remember it being the same in Mandrake Linux. As to
permissions, in my /etc/groups file, I added a line:

pppusers:x:230:username1,username2

In the above example, replace username1,etc with your user (login) name
and others that might need kppp.

The ownership for kppp remains root.root. In /dev, I use a symbolic link
for modem -> ttyS2 (Comm3 in MS parlance) (i.e., ln-s /dev/ttyS2 modem)
where my modem lives, yours might be on ttyS1 (Comm2 in MS) and the
permissions for ttyS2 are root.tty.

Hope this helps and you enjoy KDE as much as I do!
Woody