Lindsay,

Your little linux machine is a PC.  (re: subject)

Depending on your distribution, you may already have an mp3 player loaded.

As rob suggested, xmms is an Xwindows based winamp-looking mp3 player.

Personally, I prefer mpg123, which is a console based mp3 player.

One can start playing an mp3, and then load Xwindows (I don't use xdm/gdm),
play around with other sounds, then close xwindows and return to the
console.  All without interrupting your playing of MP3's.  hA!  try that on
windows!

I am curious, why did you look to the quicktime site for an mp3 player?
Quicktime will play quicktime movies.

While you may not consider a 486 33 a serious PC, it is certainly enough to
load an all growed up Linux on it.  Unfortunately, Xwindows may not fit too
well in 8mb of memory.  I'd recommend learning the console.  One can browse
the web with lynx, play mp3's with mpg123, check email with mutt, fetchmail,
pine, mail and others.

This place, hotline, sounds like the next level of napster.  If you really
want to use their stuff, send them an email, asking for a linux version.  If
this place takes off, and they don't write linux clients, never fear.  A
linux friend will write a linux client, and append a G to the beginning of
the name.  Then you can commune with Ghotline.  On the otherhand, if a linux
client isn't developed, then it's probably not worth your time.

Cory