Jacob Meuser wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 06:56:23PM -0800, Kahli R. Burke wrote:
>
>>Printing is IMHO still a weak spot for Linux and other unix like
>>systems, unless you have a postscript printer.  They usually work great.
>>

>The latest GNU ghostscript (6.53) comes with IJS and stp (Gimp-Print)
>drivers.  CUPS is always improving (and IMHO by far the easiest way
>to print OpenSource style), and the developers of foomatic
>(http://www.linuxprinting.org/) plan to replace the perl code (which
>depends on ~15 non-standard perl modules) with C to make it easier to
>use and much faster.  OpenSource printing won't be a weak spot
>for long :)

Sounds cool.  I have been using CUPS and found it to be pretty useful.
 The GIMP Print driver for my HP Deskjet 932C is crappy compared to the
Windows one though.  I looked at a driver HP put out for these printers
a while back, but it looked like a pain to get installed.  I would have
had to get the source to a few different packages like ghostscript and
patch them with this extra module for the HP printer, then recompile
them and so on.  I decided it wasn't worth the time.  My printing works,
but it's a lot slower in Linux compared to Windows, and the output
doesn't look quite as good.

>you could do this with alias cd='cd $1 | ls'.  The $1 represents the
>first argument to the cd command.  So, if you type cd /blah, /blah gets
>substituted for $1.  Yes, you can extend this concept to $2, $3, etc.
>

>?  This gives me `ls` with zsh, bash and ksh, and doesn't do the cd.
>Shouldn't the '|' be replaced with '&&'?

Oops, never mind about that, neither of these works for me, at least in
bash.  They both show me the directory listing from the desired
directory, but don't do the cd.  Maybe they execute in a subshell, and
so don't affect the working directory of the current shell.  Anyone else
have an idea?

Kahli