So... I finally got the laptop to install slackware, but I have a recurring
issue.. (Ive re-installed slack several times now with the same results...)
The issue seems to be realated to INIT. Its having trouble executing  (its
like it cant see the hard disk partition... After the kernel loads and free's
unused memory, init starts up, and promptly whines that it cannot execute
/etc/rc.d/rc.S, the rc.M, ... and a bunch of not executing /sbin/agetty. Ive
booted from ftoppy (note, I get the same errors if I boot the floppy disk,
but mount /dev/hda1 with lilo). and can mount /dev/hda1 at /mnt, and look
things over. Everything Ive looked at seems fine though (I checked all my rc
files, they exist, are not 0 bytes, and have the proper attirbutes. I checked
agetty, its there, its fine... but init cant execute it!

The nice thing is that even with 2 versions of slackware, I get the same
results (and have installed several times). What really messes witrh my head
is the fact that its reading the kernel from that partition, and /sbin/init
(and presumably /etc/inittab) but yet it cannot execute my rc files, or
agetty (which means no login!.

any ideas? anyone see this one before? I have found lots of references on
google, but no definative answers.