Hi,

How long does it run before it stops?  How much memory are you running now?  If you
type free, how much cache is being used?

A couple of the servers I built slowed way down after running a couple days but they
didn't stop like you're describing.  I put a cron job that restarted httpd about 2
or 3 AM until I had time to figure out what was going on.  I figured if anyone was
using it then they would be so groggy they wouldn't know if it was them or what.

Tim Howe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote*:

>HUPing the server does not fix it.  I stop apache and then restart it.  Looking at
vmstat, fstat, and netstat don't offer much to go on.  I'm going to experiment with
a RAM upgrade and see where it takes me...

>TimH
>
>On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:23:37 -0800 (PST)
>Horst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Without having the answer you may want to expand on if 'Restarting the
>> server' means rebooting or web server restart, i.e .../httpd restart.
>> Also, when web server slows down does a local 'lynx IP-of-interface'
>> behave the same?
>>  Would a frequent cron job be able to detect, e.g. huge amount of httpd
>> children, or other odd symptons,... and then call the reboot or httpd
>> restart? --there may be symptoms visible before the slowdown reaches the
>> extreme.
>>  Certainly an every 15 min cron job that calls a logging script with
>> """
>> logFile='yourChoice'
>> echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> $yourChoice
>> date >> $yourChoice
>> echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> $yourChoice
>> pstree >> $yourChoice
>> echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> $yourChoice
>> ps -Afl >> $yourChoice
>> echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> $yourChoice
>> top -b -n 1 >> $yourChoice
>> echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> $yourChoice
>> ...etc
>> """
>>
>> would help with the diagnostics (but don't let it grow out of control)
>>
>>  - Horst
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Tim Howe wrote:
>>
>> > I have a heavily used web server that has been deciding to simply stop serving
pages for up to 20 minutes at a time...  I have already tried all manner of Apache
and OS tweeks to stop this but nothing seems to work.  Restarting the server puts
everything back on track.  What I would like to do, until I find a real fix, is have
a Perl program try to connect to that machine on port 80, and if it fails to get a
page within, say, 5 seconds, to restart the server.
>> > I have found a bunch of modules that will ping and or connect to web servers,
but none of them seem to have a good way to time the response.  Any suggestions?

>> > TimH

Bob Crandell
Assured Computing
When you need to be sure.