example output of line_monitor.pl from logcheck:

Unusual System Events
Dec 13 13:25:01 neptune line_monitor.pl: www.uoregon.edu:128.223.142.13 WWW failed

This tells me I should be more tollerant with other people webservers
before determining of my line is down (ie trying a few times like the
ping test).

Cory