Thanks, Neil.  My XF86Conf has it commented out, and xdpyinfo correctly
states that my system supports it.  My XF86Config-4 has this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

which is earlier defined as my core pointer.  The -4 file is what's in
use (4.1.0 as previously stated).  My only other thought it that I'm
using the NVidia kernel (and their GLX of course)... since my kernel is
now officially and explicitly "TAINTED", it is easy to blame them  = )

hum.  Starting to hope I never need keyboard pointer-control,
but still think it'd be cool.

benb