The UofO requires authentication through their proxy -- so you can
easily discover the network, and get their login page AFAIK... but
nothing beyond that unless you are a student, or can get one to help
you.  So it would be "good enough" for testing that your new radio
transmitter works, but would not offer all the fun you might otherwise
have...
I heard High Street (the pub/restaurant) has an open access point in the
vicinity -- hope it stays up now that this message hit the list
archives!!

ciao,

   Ben B

PS - Anyone else?  Where are the open access points, esp the ones near
small & independent businesses...