On Wednesday 05 February 2003 05:01 pm, Joseph Carter wrote:
<SNIPPAGE>
:
: The only way to hack the TiVo series 2 involves reflashing the EEPROM,
: which is soldered to the motherboard and not software flashable.
: Socketing this chip would let you toss it in an EEPROM programmer, but
: requires SMT soldering skills (obviously I can't do that.)  Another
: suggestion was that a debugging socket be employed if such exists.  The
: idea is that you have an inverted socket connected to a normal one.  You
: just cut the CS line to the existing chip and plunk this thing down with a
: new EEPROM, modified not to check the kernel.  Then you modify the
: kernel's initrd not to check the filesystem and you're good to go, until
: the next software revision.

Hmm... Ive done lots of soldering... I find the SMT to be a lot easier than
"through-hole" type soldering... I bet you can do it... providing you have a
big enough magnifying lense :) Putting on the socket for a plcc  is fairly
difficult with hand tools (unless you have access to a hot air soldering
tool... then its a bit easier)

Jamie

<MORESNIPPAGE>
--
Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that
no conclusion can be drawn from them.