You can try:

 open(WRITE_FILE, "> output.html") or die "Couldn't open output.html!";
 print WRITE_FILE <<"EOF";
EOF
 print WRITE_FILE "</html>";
 close(WRITE_FILE) or die "Couldn't close output.html!";

For scanning for logins you could use the File::Tail module and tail your
messages log.  I wrote a similar script that tailed a log file looking for
certain events.

Brian