One simple way, without preprocessing, is to put your file up on a local
webserver (say, apache on your own machine, linux or otherwise) and then
use a utility like AvantGo (with a custom "channel" definition for your
own machine, if possible, or even a small free-hosting service) to load
up your own pages... There is a "more free" tool called Plucker which is
another offline HTML viewer:

http://www.plkr.org/index.plkr

You also might just want to start out with a specialized reader, esp. if
this is just for your own use... but if you are trying to make
distributable palmOS documents, for people who don't want to (or cannot)
install new software, I can understand... however, you can beam both a
reader application as well as documents from one palm to another.  Here
is a nice-looking Free reader, I found on a freshmeat.net search:

http://gutenpalm.sourceforge.net/about.php

They use a format called zTXT, and have a links section for "Converting
Texts" including their own makeztxt tool... zTXT has better compression
than others, apparently.  They explain both java- and perl-based
conversionone link is to this project, which ALSO DOES EBOOK format:

http://www.pyrite.org/publisher/index.html

I also came across another converter, which appears small, fast, and
fault-tolerant (against incorrect html)... might be worthwhile.  It also
says that it's output can be optimized for ebook reading:

http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/bhaak/vilistextum/

hope these help!!  Let us know what works best for you (sorry I don't
have direct experiences of my own to offer -- I have enjoyed using
AvantGo, but I think they've become more commercialized recently, and
the free tools for palm are far more mature than when I was tinkering).

ciao,

   Ben B

PS - Rob, you might be interested in the zTXT format details, they can
be found at:

http://gutenpalm.sourceforge.net/ztxt_format.php