Thanks, I have a copy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Kent Loobey
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 7:12 AM
To: The Eugene Unix and GNU/Linux User Group's mail list
Subject: Re: [eug-lug]Jamie, why I'm using RH

On Monday 02 June 2003 11:01 am, Linux Rocks ! wrote:
> Brian,
>       Well... if your priority is mainstream, then maybe you need Windows. As
> far as I can tell, redhat is the microsoft of the linux community. Ive
> spent a lot of time trying various linux's, and have  found Mandrake to be
> far superior to RedHat, its actually based on redhat, but it usually
works
> much better. If you like  the way redhat does things, maybe mandrake is a
> good thing for you to try. Alternatively SuSE is also very easy to install
> and has a decent userbase. Personally I prefer Slackware, but its not
> really a newbie type system (although it gets easier every new version...)

I tried to let this pass but I guess I just can't.  Stop by EFN when EugLug
is
meeting there (Thursday nights, I think) and get a copy of the Knoppix CD.
Stick it in your computer and boot off of it.  If you can do everything you
want on it then you can install it to your hard disk and run it as a Debian
system from then on.  The whole process can take less than an hour.  It is
still Linux and all that that means but with far fewer problems (for me at
least) than all of the other versions that I tried.