On this note, I would like to add that sound has occasionally been
dropping out for me -- it has to do with using xmms, then mplayer; they
seem to both want to keep control... this happens mostly on my laptop
(which uses the esssolo1 module) and sometimes on my workstation (which
uses the es1370 module, which icidentally is a CreativeLabs Sound
Blaster [PCI 128] card, but incompatible with the sb module!).

Neither of these cards are very fancy multi-channel ones, like the SB
Live!, but they do handle multiple channels in hardware.  That is, I can
play simultaneous sounds from line in, mic, and pcm (computer-generated
digital audio) but cannot seem to play xmms and mplayer at the same
time, alas...

I *have* found that reloading the modules is not necessary to fix my
occasional predicament, but rather killing esd and restarting it works.
As my own user (non-root), I 'killall -9 esd;esd' and everything seems
to work again.  Any comments?  esd is the enlightenment sound daemon; I
no longer use the enlightenment window manager, but redhat 7.x has set
me up the bomb, so to speak.

ciao,

   Ben B