On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 05:08:46PM -0700, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> I've added 'buildpkg' to my FEATURES in /etc/mk.conf, and
> have quite a few packages.  Has anyone here installed Gentoo
> from stage3 and then packages ... as in, not compiling locally
> at all?

Yes. In Gentoo terms, these binary packages are called Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP)
In the next official release of Gentoo 1.4 Final, the install cdrom will have GRP for
system, Xfree, kde, and gnome. So users can easily install from binary packages.

> Also, is it possible to mount /var/tmp/portage as a memfs (or
> whatever it's called in Linux land)?  Anyone done it?  Save much
> time?  Seems to cut quite a bit of time off 'make build' on
> OpenBSD to mount_mfs /usr/obj.

You can specify /var/tmp/portage any place you want in /etc/make.conf

# PORTAGE_TMPDIR is the location portage will use for compilations and
#     temporary storage of data. This can get VERY large depending upon
#     the application being installed.
#PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp

I usually have /home/tmp as my PORTAGE_TMPDIR. I've not tried your above idea. My
guess is it wouldn't save much time.

Cheers,
Jack Morgn
Gentoo/Sparc