On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:10:19PM -0700, Ben Barrett wrote:
> so what's the deal with gentoo-distributed binary package sets??

First, Gentoo isn't "distributing" binary package sets. Gentoo will *not* become a
linux distribution that offers binaries to users other than from the install cdrom.

> That seems contradictory (beyond the promotional and rescue uses of a
> bootable cd); are Gentoo users finding that they don't really want to
> compile *everything* after all?  So the new goal is to have a binary
> starting point, and emerge your own particular interests and concerns
> from source so that they are the very latest code and also customized
> for your scenario...?

Installing with binary packages on Gentoo just provides a convenience. You're
installed in a short amount of time.

> Was there extensive threads about whether or not to do binary release,
> or did it just make sense at some point?

No because we are not offering a binary release.

> This sort of blurs the reasoning of why Gentoo is so special, for me; so
> please explain.  Thanks!

Portage, the package management application of Gentoo, has the ability to build a
binary. This is handy if say you have a homogeneous network, and only want to compile
once. You then can install the binary on all other pc in that network. We might see
that in a school computer lab, in an office or even a server room. This "feature" just
gives users more choices.

The livecd will have binaries. whither you choose to use them or not is up to you.
Gentoo is all about giving the maximum amount of choice to the user.

Cheers,
Jack Morgan
Gentoo/Sparc