On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:41:06PM -0700, Rodney Mishima wrote:
> Mr. O,
>
> If you are a developer, you should consider becoming an Apple Developer.
> Look in Apple.com for developer support.
>
> They give a developer a 20% discount on the purchase of a new Mac system,
> iPod optional; But highly recommended.

They may not have many (any?) left at this point since the announcement
was made Tuesday night, however..

Digital Duck (UO bookstore) is selling Powerbooks at vastly insanely low
prices right now, while their stock holds.  These Apples are the juicy
kind.  The Powerbook 12 I will be bringing with me tomorrow is a G4 867
with 640 megs and a 60 gig HD.  Oh, the bundle includes the superdrive
(DVD-R in a sub-5lb notebook!) and Airport Extreme for 802.11g wireless
goodness.  Cost?  $1649.  Wednesday morning when I went in to buy it, they
had 45 of them.  Apparently half their stock went away just today.

Since many of us are Linux fans, some warnings about Linux on the above
mentioned badass system:

1. GeForce 420 Go is not supported well (at all?) by XFree yet and NV
   doesn't make even binary drivers for Linux PPC.
2. Airport Extreme has no linux driver support.

Student pricing on an iBook 12 with combo drive (G3 900) with the same RAM
and disk, which are maxed out of course, and an Airport card comes out to
be within $100 of the Powerbook 12.  Conclusion: If you want an OS X box,
take some Lane class so you qualify as a student and get one while you
can.  Else, you probably can get a better deal on the slightly larger and
heavier iBook without the DVD-R drive and find yourself much happier with
the results overall.  The difference between a G4 867 and G3 900 matters
only to gamers and Photoshop people, really.

UO has a similar nice deal on the Powerbook 15 - that's the actual TiBook.
Someone else will have to describe the Linuxability of the thing.  I would
rather not have a case that is painted to make it look shiny (I actually
like the darker look of bare titanium personally), and we already know
from watching me lug the Gateway around that the size of a 15" screen
based notebook is too much to carry easily.

- --
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              glDisable (DX8_CRAP);

<theoddone33> What's this message on my screen,
<theoddone33>   so blue, so blue, what could it mean?
<theoddone33> Could you, would you press Delete,
<theoddone33>   Ctrl and Alt and then repeat.