On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:53:49AM -0700, Rodney Mishima wrote:
> >They may not have many (any?) left at this point since the announcement
> >was made Tuesday night, however..
> >
> >Digital Duck (UO bookstore) is selling Powerbooks at vastly insanely low
> >prices right now, while their stock holds.
>
> iPods available also?

Seperately and at student prices.

> > These Apples are the juicy
> >kind.  The Powerbook 12 I will be bringing with me tomorrow is a G4 867
> >with 640 megs and a 60 gig HD.  Oh, the bundle includes the superdrive
> >(DVD-R in a sub-5lb notebook!) and Airport Extreme for 802.11g wireless
> >goodness.  Cost?  $1649.
>
> Built-in Bluetooth also!

Included with the 12s.  The 15s don't have bluetooth though since they are
the older TiBook.  If you're concerned about the crunchy shell/creamy
filling issues of anodized aluminum though, you may prefer a TiBook, of
which they have more, even without niftyness like bluetooth.

> >Wednesday morning when I went in to buy it, they
> >had 45 of them.  Apparently half their stock went away just today.
>
> Definitely, if you are a student and qualify for this discount; it is more
> attractive than the developer discount.

Absolutely.  =)  Lane students, bring a unofficial transcript or something
with you so that the UO people can see that you are indeed a student.

> >Since many of us are Linux fans, some warnings about Linux on the above
> >mentioned badass system:
> >
> >1. GeForce 420 Go is not supported well (at all?) by XFree yet and NV
> >   doesn't make even binary drivers for Linux PPC.
> >2. Airport Extreme has no linux driver support.
>
> Don't personally know about Linux PPC specific issues. I downloaded the
> latest Yellow Dog distro (allegedly the most mature Linux PPC ) and soon
> will try to install it on my G4 Tower. My biggest concern about PPC Linux
> is the status of Firewire support; "not ready for prime time" would limit
> my use of Linux PPC vs. running native OS X. Lack of graphics support would
> be a major disappointment, but we all are comfortable at command line,
> right?

Since I last commented on the state of firewire, I have actually begun
using it with my iPod..  Because I have one firewire device, when I am
finished using it, I unload the sbp2 module..  If I did not wish to do
this, I could make use of the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script, which is IMO a
bit of a hack (and one of the reasons the support for Firewire is not yet
as mature as it should be..)

It all works, at any rate.

> No Airport Extreme support, but probably have support for older 802.11 a or
> b?

The issue is that the Powerbook 12 lacks a PCMCIA slot in any traditional
place to put one.  It features an internal slot inside the battery
compartment, but lacks an ejection mechanism, so I am unsure if the
standard airport would fit in its place.  The Powerbook 15 is ready to go
for Linux, as far as I know.

> >Student pricing on an iBook 12 with combo drive (G3 900) with the same RAM
> >and disk, which are maxed out of course, and an Airport card comes out to
> >be within $100 of the Powerbook 12.  Conclusion: If you want an OS X box,
> >take some Lane class so you qualify as a student and get one while you
> >can.  Else, you probably can get a better deal on the slightly larger and
> >heavier iBook without the DVD-R drive and find yourself much happier with
> >the results overall.  The difference between a G4 867 and G3 900 matters
> >only to gamers and Photoshop people, really.
>
> If possible, get the one with the DVD burner. You won't regret it.

Though, burning DVDs on a notebook has got to be impressively slow.

> >UO has a similar nice deal on the Powerbook 15 - that's the actual TiBook.
> >Someone else will have to describe the Linuxability of the thing.  I would
> >rather not have a case that is painted to make it look shiny (I actually
> >like the darker look of bare titanium personally), and we already know
> >from watching me lug the Gateway around that the size of a 15" screen
> >based notebook is too much to carry easily.
>
> No chance to get the 17" Powerbook?

Not at a deal like this!  =D  Here are the deals they offer: