Indeed, the mini-bootable distro's would be a good base to start with.
Are you talking about a full-blown typical mobo, just without the HD?
If per chance you're thinking of an embedded system or SBC, you might
want to consider some distro's which cater specifically to that set of
needs (generally speaking, of course!)...

this page:
http://lwn.net/Articles/11047/
...has articles about the popularity of ucLinux, using flash memory with
ucLinux, and also about something called YAFFS which is apparently the
first NAND-specific filesystem (ie, it is made for flash memory!)...
see  http://uclinux.org/
(it is for systems without a MMU, memory management unit)

you might also want to surf on some parts of:
http://www.ddjembedded.com/
http://www.linuxdevices.com/

also, this project just died, but it has some thriving children:
http://www.linuxrouter.org/

A friend just got some of these:
http://www.soekris.com/
and I think he's been following this stuff:
http://opensoekris.sourceforge.net/
http://www.slackwerks.com/the-crew/arete/soekris/soekris.html

for instance...  ( =

Also, I don't have any idea if they're still "alive", but you might want
to check around for DragonLinux, PeanutLinux, VectorLinux, and PicoBSD,
they are all minimal distro's.  I think you can do a basic debian or
whatnot, as well, just leave out Gnome and KDE!  Are you thinking more
of a headless mini-server, or a lightweight thin client?  Cheers!

   Ben B