[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a process that cannot be killed by 'kill -9 PID'

You're screwed.  You're going to have to reboot.

But before you do, there is some more info you can collect.

First, is the process using CPU time?  You don't have top, but you can
run ps twice several seconds apart and see whether the CPU time has
increased.

Second, what is the process blocked on?  I don't have access to a
Solaris system, but most Unices have a ps option that displays the
WCHAN field.  The WCHAN is the address of a kernel data structure that
a process is blocked waiting on.  Find out what the WCHAN is.  Maybe
(probably not) you can find someone else who's holding the WCHAN and
kill that process instead.

Try different ps options to find WCHAN.  I think there is an alternate
ps program on Solaris in /usr/ucb/ps or somewhere, too.  Try that too.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]