I believe that 'ps -elf' will give you the WCHAN field. I know it does on Solaris 8
and 9, but I don't have access to 6. If you need top you can get it from
www.sunfreeware.com. Don't worry that it is listed as beta. It has been beta for as
long as I can remember.

Where is the binary for this 'immortal' process? I have seen processes on Sun that are
impossible to kill if they are running off of an NFS share and the share is no longer
available. If you have NFS shares, make sure that they are all still alive.

Good luck.

Garl