Never heard of until your post.  There is a man page on it and it says you
run nameif before the interfaces are up or it will fail.  It looks like you
have to have the name and the ethernet MAC address in /etc/mactab.  Looks
like it could be useful in some places.  Ok now you can name the insides of
your computer.  This should be fun.  Monty Python characters, Cartoon
Characters the posibilities are endless.

Tim