On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 06:31:00PM -0700, Mr O wrote:

> So, anyone have experience with installing Redhat on the Promise
> IDE RAID cards? I'm trying to setup a mirrored array on a box
> and during setup you basically choose from the drives as 'hde,
> hdg, or sda'. Already have the Promise driver loaded before hand
> and I'm on the second install. After the first install I could
> only boot off the floppy to get into the system. After boot the
> Promise utility kicked in and cloned the wrong darn drive
> leaving me with nothing on both drives. Using the Promise driver
> is a must to enable the hotswap function. At least as far as I
> know it is. Currently mirroring what I think is the right drive
> from the card and not the OS this time. Current OS is RH7.3,
> will try 8.0 next if I have to. Card is the Promise TX2. I've
> installed these first two times to /dev/sda. Anyone with
> experience on them?

If you are using the Promise controller that allows you to set up "RAID"
in the BIOS, I've enclosed my fstab and lilo.conf.  You should build
pdcraid.o into your kernel, not as a module.  Also, enable the FastTrak
feature.  This card is also known as the Fastrak, and there are howtos
published for Debian.  There is also some info in the Gentoo documentation.
In either case, if your drives are listed as hde and hdg, make sure
"boot off-board chipsets first support" is turned OFF.

If you don't have the FastTrak option, you should use the regular
software raidtools to create your RAID array.  Then you need
to turn the FasTrak feature off in the kernel.  I've never done this--
you may have to disable the BIOS of the IDE controller.  If you do this,
you need to turn the "special UDMA feature" for the Promise controller
on in the kernel.

And if all this sounds like too much of a pain, you can, as Joseph
suggests, lay out the bread for a real IDE-RAID card.  I personally like
the 3ware cards real well, but they are expensive.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
                                           --H.L. Mencken

----------------begin fstab-----------------

# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.7 2002/05/12 21:48:18
azarah Exp $

#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

<dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1        /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime
 1 1
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3        /               ext3            noatime
 1 1
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2        none            swap            sw
 0 0
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part5        /usr            ext3            noatime         1 1
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part6        /var            ext3            noatime         1 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part7        /usr/local      ext3            noatime         1 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part8        /opt            ext3            noatime         1 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part9        /home           ext3            noatime         1 2
/dev/cdrom                      /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user,ro
 0 0
/dev/fd0                        /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto,user
 0 0
proc                            /proc           proc            defaults
 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
# line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will use almost no
#  memory if not populated with files)

tmpfs                   /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

-----------------end file-----------------

---------------begin /etc/lilo.conf---------------

# Author: Ultanium
# Start LILO global section
menu-scheme=Wb
#boot = /dev/hda
prompt
timeout = 50
#install=/boot/boot.b
#message=/boot/message
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
lba32
boot=/dev/ataraid/disc0/disc

#bios  = 0x80 *must* be here
disk = /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc
        bios = 0x80

map = /boot/System.map
#if lba32 do not work, use linear
#linear
delay = 50
vga = normal    # Normal VGA console
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
        image = /boot/vmlinuz
        root = /dev/ataraid/disc0/part3
        append = "idebus=66, ide0=ata66"
        label = Gentoo