I'd never miss a chance to yap about distros.

Not to be too much of an echo, but just about any
distro will get you started, and all those named are
worthy. I will put forth another point, though, based
on my experience. Unless you are a real
geek/hacker/technophile, folks I know who use Linux
for real work (which is what it sounds like Max
needs/wants it for), you tend to end up using what you
start with. You get used to rpm, or whatever
distro-specific tools you learn to get the job done,
and you go with that.

That being said, I have jumped around a bit and have
used about everything, but I tend to stay in the
RH/Mandrake camp. I am a bit embarrassed to say I am
using Mandrake 7.2, still with a 2.2 kernel, on my
secondary work laptop (apple is my primary laptop, so
it's os x there). But, what can I say, I installed it
about 2 months into my current job (2.5 years ago),
and its been going ever since.

I didn't see the flames I'd expect on a distro post,
how about we discuss choice of window manager? ;)

Jason