On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:26:41PM -0700, Mr O wrote:
> And I won't even go on about the quality of the parts....
>
> :)

At least as good as those in a BookPC.  Crappy video in both cases, though
that's because it's onboard in both cases.  It gets about $700 before it's
actually reasonable parts for more serious users and $800 before it'd be
suitable for someone like me.

Of course, what I'm looking at these days runs about $3400 for the full
system.  The parts are sufficiently higher quality and higher capacity
than either the budget Celery or a BookPC to be worth it, though.  DDR400,
PCI-X, nearly silent operation, wide-aspect 20" flat panel, 900MHz FSB,
Gigabit ethernet, S-ATA, DVD+-RW, front USB2 and Firewire, rear USB2,
Firewire, and Firewire 800, support for both 802.11g and Bluetooth with
external antennas for each, and preloaded with the best desktop UNIX I've
ever seen.

If that still seems high, subtract $1200 for the wide-aspect LCD and go
for a 4:3 aspect 18" model for about $7-800.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>               This end upside-down

It's not usually cost effective time wise to go do it. But if something's
really pissing you off, you just go find the code and fix it and that's
really cool.
        -- John Carmack, on the advantages of open source