(this is not entirely on-topic for the thread, but close...)

Okay, I'll leave off my source, since some think I'm advertising, but
I just found news on a deal about a single external 80GB drive which
connects via USB2 or fast ethernet, for $99 (after $90 rebate), see:

http://www.outpost.com/product/3767416

The specs seem off, since it says 160GB down below, and it doesn't
mention what sharing protocol is used (SMB, I'm guessing).  I do notice
that the device uses 12V itself, which should make it ideal for the road
warriors among us; it also has backup, mirrroring, and aggregation
capabilities, although I don't think "Internet service providers,
financial institutions, and multimedia firms" would rely on it!

I *am* guessing that one could upgrade the drive in this thing, since it
seems they have a whole line of them (and it apparently does ata/133).

==> this is a public service announcement <==

cheers,

   Ben