On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:43:25PM -0700, Jack Morgan wrote:

> The sad part is that this is true. Gentoo just isn't stable enough as it
> is now to attract corporate contracts. I know that as I worked on one
> contract proposal for a big company that's name sounds like crisco.

I disagree about the stability.  I have 4 Gentoo systems at home and
work (2 are production) and find it more than stable enough *for what I
use it for*.  The only time I've ever crashed Gentoo was a 1.2 system
playing Unreal Tournament.  I've never had a 1.4 system crash.  The key
to having a stable Gentoo system is the same as with any other OS-- pick
your updates carefully.  When you get the hang of Gentoo, its true
advantage-- ease of administration-- comes shining through.

Who cares what certain companies whose name rhymes with crisco do?  The
only company I know with that name builds overpriced,
not-exceedingly-stable hardware with a crappy proprietary OS that's
riddled with security problems (tftp-- please!!!).

> Perhaps if Gentoo branched their portage tree[1] then it might be a
> different story. Not only branch it by releases but by architecture.

Gentoo is already branched into official release and unstable-- check
the comments in /etc/make.conf.  Other branches, such as Gentoo-secure,
etc., are in the works, and have been discussed extensively on the
mailing lists.

BTW, releases for i386, sparc, and ppc exist.

I just wish Oracle was supported on Gentoo.  Well, at least I can get
support using SuSE, rather than crappy old Red Hat.

Cheers,
Dennis

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
                                           --H.L. Mencken