On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 09:15 AM, Ken Barber wrote:

On Monday 27 October 2003 23:11, Larry Price wrote:
This is a company that wants to own your eyes and ears, don't
give them any help.

Are you aware that Real.com has had a change of heart? Did you miss their announcement at Linuxworld last August?

You mean this,
https://www.helixcommunity.org/

that contains this interesting snippet:
 """
RealAudio/RealVideo Add-On Technology Porting License -
for your convenience, this porting license gives you source code access
 to portions of the Helix platform which haven't been open sourced,
 such as RealAudio and RealVideo.
"""

Ooops, translate to we'll keep the standard proprietary, but you kids can
play with some of the neat parts if you agree to our license...

I don't know exactly what they were thinking when they set this up, but I would be very careful
before doing anything with them, as in, you are leaving yourself open to all kinds of
headache, and even if you download the 'Open Source' helix player it still won't be able to play
stuff off of cnn.com.

The difference between Free Software and Open Source in this case is that
if you do something creative with it, RealNetworks gets to own your work, on their terms rather than
under the same terms you get use theirs.

vide https://www.helixcommunity.org/content/rpsl
"""

(b) You grant to Licensor and its subsidiaries a non-exclusive, worldwide,
royalty-free, perpetual and irrevocable license, under Your Applicable Patent
Rights and other intellectual property rights owned or controlled by You, to
make, use, sell, offer for sale, import, reproduce, display, perform,
distribute, modify or have modified (for Licensor and/or its subsidiaries),
sublicense and distribute Your Modifications, in any form and for any purpose,
through multiple tiers of distribution.

"""

I don't know why it's setup like it is, it doesn't have the flavour of a marketing stunt,
but they don't exactly seem keen to have it be a free for all.
Maybe they just don't get the open source thing, but they've stuck a little too much friction
into the process for it to be anything other than a captive project.

-- "The Internet is falling" --C. Little 2003