On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:47:30PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Will any of the generic Wireless PCMCIA cardbus ethernet adaptor IEEE
> 802.11b [802.11g compatible] found on www.pricewatch.com  work with my
> RH9 system? I'm buying either aD-Link Airplus 2.4GHz wireless router or
> use my existing Ipcop firewall on an old Pentium 100 and add another
> PCMCIA adapter and card to it.  Am I moving in the right direction? I'm
> following the 3/6/01 article; " Recipe for a Linux 802.11b home Network"
> from the O'Reilly site.

Linux lacks drivers for 802.11g chipsets in any usable (read: source)
format.  Any binary drivers you can find, if you can find any at all, will
be of limited value to you.  Nobody has tried to build the NVIDIA driver
model for these pieces of hardware and the chipset makers are being
anti-cooperative.  I can say that if you have a PCMCIA slot and a card
with a Broadcomm chipset, it can be made to work easily in MacOS X or
Darwin PPC, but the common 802.11g implementation in standalone cards is a
TI chip which won't even work there.  I'd stick with 802.11b for now,
which is generic enough and cheap enough that even if you can't get it to
work, you probably won't have wasted much money on the card.

The bookstore still has Proxim cards which are the nicest things out there
according to most, but once again I forgot to look at what they wanted for
them.