I'd take a look at:

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison

Specifically  the "Client card recommendations" section.

In a related matter, eww D-Link. I just ordered a Linksys WRV54G (11b/11g)
access point and it should arrive today. It's not the famous WRT54G AP
that everyone's hacking on, it's a newer one with VPN and some other
stuff. It's $199 and runs Linux/OpenRG. I'll post a mini-review after I
get some time to play with it.

For more hacking/tech info on the WRT54G ($129 most places):
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g

For more hacking/tech info on the WRV54G, take a look at:
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrv54g

The WRV54G page is being updated just about everyday with new info.

Good luck,
/jgw