Larry Price wrote,
>Does anyone know of a good resource to help decode the intricacies of
>make
>(BSD make in this case although gmake _should_ be bug compatible)
>
>specifically the default suffix and filename expansion rules which do
>not seem to be
>listed in the man page .
>
>so far I've found Fowler's original paper, and the gnu documentation
>page
>but nothing that answers my question.
>
>which is, where are the suffix expansion rules defined?

For BSD make, I'm not sure where the official documentation lives, but
you can read the rules out of the file that gets included at the beginning
of every run.  On my box, the default rule file is /usr/share/mk/sys.mk, but
that's not universal...I've seen machines where the default rule file
lives in a subdirectory of /usr/include.  Try "man make", and look near
the bottom in the "FILES" section.  (On my Slackware box, BSD make is
called "pmake", so you have to say "man pmake" instead of "man make".)

For GNU make, the documentation is in "info make".  Follow the links to
"* Implicit Rules::", and then "* Catalogue of Rules::".

The GNU make default rules aren't in a separate file...they're hardwired
into the code.  You can see them with "strings /usr/bin/make" (assuming
your make lives in /usr/bin...and note that GNU make might be called
"gmake" instead of "make").

               - Neil Parker