> I'm helping the Cottage Grove Library update their web browsing
> kiosk machines.  Right now they're Win95 using IE5 and the
> librarians are having a hard time keeping up with all the cookies,
> popups, bannerware, etc. that Windows boxes attract. So I'm looking
> for Linux based solutions that reduce or eliminate the maintenance
> that the librarians have to do once I've configured it. Ideas?

Actually, I'm just editing an article for the April issue of SysAdmin
that talks about using User-Mode Linux (UML) images as the basis for a
kiosk application.  UML is useful here because it allows you to
terminate the user's session and undo all of their changes (browser
history, cookie updates, etc) by simply discarding the current UML
session and starting another one from a copy of the same "golden
master image".  It's a really nifty idea, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I can't share the article with you at this time (sorry
to tease), and the April issue of SA won't be out until late March
timeframe.  However, maybe the information above is enough to get your
creative juices flowing...

--
Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO       Deer Run Associates       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training