On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:46:39PM -0800, T. Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:43:58PM -0801, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > > Yes, that's what he meant.
> > >
> > > Now what would be cool is a journaled file system for bsd.  Any one out
> > > there?  Perhaps when bsd supports xfs, reiser or ext3.
> >
> > Probably won't ever happen.  UFS/FFS has been around for ages.  Many
> > BSD'ers take comfort in that.  Look at the FFS in FreeBSD 5.x for
> > state-of-the-art BSD filesystems.
>
> There's already a form of journaling present in BSD.  It's not quite the
> same as the stuff used by the Linux offerings, but it does log the changes
> to assist when you need to fsck.  I'm sketchy on details.

Softdep makes fsck _very_ reliable, thus the ability to do background
fsck (use the FS in the meantime).

That's not the same as using a journalling fs, tho ... it's still FFS.

IMHO, Linux suports journalling FSs because ext2 was not so reliable
after crashes.  FFS has been reliable for quite a while.  IMHO, BSDers
don't feel the need to implement a new fs.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>