On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:13:36PM -0800, Patrick R. Wade wrote:

> >> The most utterly hosed filesystem i have ever had the misfortune to
> >> be afflicted with, came to me courtesy of softupdates.
> >>
> >> The enormous files with the immutable flag set, the files with negative
> >> timestamps, the files with names from the content of other files, the
> >> files with content based on the names of other files; i shudder still to
> >> think of it.  I don't think it gave me files with slashes in the filenames,
> >> but i would not have been surprised if it had.
> >
> >Was this recently?
> >

> No ; in 2001, on BSD/OS.

There is a rather long thread in the [EMAIL PROTECTED] archives, starting
with http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=98630968715532
about the stability of soft updates.  It ends with Grigory Orlov stating
that softdep in 2.9 (June 2001) would be stable.  Grigory added dirpref.
I haven't heard anyone complain about softdep since then.  Also, most
of the googling I've done about soft updates points to the spring/summer
of 2001 as being a busy time for FFS development.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>