On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:55:36PM -0800, Jason wrote:
> I think the most interesting point is that, while a
> good background of the problem and proposed solutions
> is given, it seems there really is no good answer
> currently. The author does make mention of Sender
> Permitted From (http://spf.pobox.com/), which was
> recently mentioned to me by a co-worker and is the
> solution I've been looking into most lately.
SPF may work for cutting out spam spoofed from aol/yahoo/msn accounts.  However
a lot of domains don't even have valid ptr records.  How are they going to
figure out how to setup a ptr record?  Even if they did, there are going to be
a lot of sites that won't set this up.  There are many legit boxes that
spammers have broken in to to send spam.

> Any opinions from the list on where this field/problem
> is going? Will it continue (as in the rest of the
> field of security) to be an arms race?
The article doesn't mention greylisting, which I think is a good temporary
solution.  It greatly increases the cost to spammers.  I think it will continue
to be an arms race until either the protocol or the infrastructure changes.  I
have not yet heard of a practical and secure replacement/extension to smtp.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your