Until there is some form of authentication for mail, this
arms race will continue. Sender Permitted is an interesting
step, since it is generally hard for DNS changes.

However, it is not the end of the arms race. It makes the
security flaws in DNS become a target.

And if it is possible to create AI programs for real, we will
end up seeing viruses that look at your email and craft a
real message from a real person, to a real recipient, with a spam
content.

The end of this arms race is a long way away.

Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % Slashdot picked up a securityfocus link from Neil
 % Krawetz - a survey of the current spam/anti-spam
 % situation.
 %
 % Part 1: http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1763
 % Part 2: http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1766
 %
 % Sorry if this has made the rounds earlier, but since
 % this list seems to have a good number of interested
 % parties, I figured I'd pass it along.
 %
 % I think the most interesting point is that, while a
 % good background of the problem and proposed solutions
 % is given, it seems there really is no good answer
 % currently. The author does make mention of Sender
 % Permitted From (http://spf.pobox.com/), which was
 % recently mentioned to me by a co-worker and is the
 % solution I've been looking into most lately. It's in
 % the reverse-lookup (e.g. from rather than to MX)
 % family of solutions and seems like it would solve some
 % (but not close to all) spam issues.
 %
 % Any opinions from the list on where this field/problem
 % is going? Will it continue (as in the rest of the
 % field of security) to be an arms race? Will the bad
 % guys continue to spend pennies to harass us while the
 % good guys dump buckets of cash on incomplete
 % solutions?
 %
 % Sorry, nothing practical here, just late night
 % blabbering. Anyhoo, I'll finally be in OR for a
 % Thursday so I should see you guys next week.
 %
 % Jason
 %
 % __________________________________
 % Do you Yahoo!?
 % Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
 % http://search.yahoo.com
 % _______________________________________________
 % EuG-LUG mailing list
 % [EMAIL PROTECTED]