On Tuesday 25 May 2004 16:04, perdurabo wrote:
> Who said anything about communing with nature? That's hippy
> shit. I just like peakbagging :-)

Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I ain't no damn hippie (used to be, though) and their idea of
"communing with nature" ain't exactly the same as mine.

I'm not a City Person either, and I really don't understand you
athletic types who go hiking in the mountains just to put a notch
on your belt.  As long as you're up there, why not take the time
to enjoy the stuff you'll never see in a city?

I co-captained an Altair [altairsports.org] backpacking trip up to
Obsidian Falls (foot of the Middle Sister) a couple of years ago.
There was only one other person in that group who was actually
there to enjoy & experience the place.  Everyone else was there
to prove how much trail mileage they could cover in how short a
time.  Yeah, one of them brought a cell phone too.

"City people," I thought.  "They can't wait to get out of their
cages, and then when they do come up here, they bring their cages
with 'em."

I got my head bit off for going too slow and "holding the group
back" because I kept wanting to stop to examine wildflowers,
interesting rocks, etc. and play with the birds.

I go to the mountains because that's my home, and it's nice to go
home for a visit now and then.  Like about every weekend.  It's
senseless to me to bring the City with me.

But as I said, whatever floats your boat.

Ken