On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:35:42 -0700, Jason Van Cleve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So if I have this right, dd will copy any kind of partition, or an
> entire drive, provided the destination is the same size as the source
> (or larger, if I'm willing to sacrifice the extra space).  This implies
> I could just size my partitions as before, use dd for all of them, then
> create a new ten-gig' partition for whatever.  How'm I doing so far?

That should work.

dd will make an exact bit for bit copy; so it copies everything
including partition tables and lowlevel filesystem formatting.

dd takes offset, blocksize and numblocks parameters so it would
theoretically be possible
to do things like copy everything from a smaller device into a larger
partition; but you would need to know a lot of detail about how that
specific filesystem worked, you would need to emulate the filesystem
code using a shell script, and since you already have access to the C
version...

--
http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?