That isn't true.  I go to Phoenix a lot on business and wifi spots are
not everywhere.  Yes places like IHOP have wifi but they charge you to
hook up to it.

There isn't any mass outlay of it though.  Some of the hotels use wifi
for there high speed too but its slow as hell. being ran off business
dsl or if your lucky a t1. thats it for all the rooms.