T. Joseph CARTER wrote:

It's not unclear to me, but I believe that the government is potentially
out to get me at any point in which I may appear to be a potential threat
to anything and anyone.
  This is a healthy attitude, I think.  The
network is a hostile place, and there are people more dangerous than
government spooks out there.

Perhaps, but I'm speaking solely on a legal basis.

Except that open labs generally have a person on hand to supervise the
equipment.  Granted undergrad student slave labour doesn't result in very
good supervision, but at least nobody can hold the university liable for
failing to take some precaution against illegal activity by members of the
general public.

You can't say that about someone sitting off-campus in a car with a
high-gain 2.4GHz antenna.

Sure I can. As I stated, I am perfectly willing to register with the CC for access to the wireless network.
This is the same precaution they take with students/faculty and staff.

We're talking about university wireless being unavailable to non-students.
It's not a case of blocked ports as it is of redirecting all traffic to a
webserver which requires you to authenticate using a university-provided
account available only to students and faculty.

No, actually, when I said free, I was _specifically_ talking about blocked ports and then semi-facetiously.
Doesn't matter much now though, since we've morphed into something else now. heh.

I'd guess very little does.  Most of that would go to operate facilities
and pay faculty.
Arguably you could say that student financial aid
contributes to this, but that is a subsidy for students, not the
institution itself.  Given that the school budget, based on your figures,
is more than 400 million, and that there were 20,000 students in that year
paying 100 each in technology fees, the school had 2 million in student
fees alone.

The majority of the budget for CC and CC Network Services comes from the general fund.

I don't know what it costs to provide the OC-somethingridiculous equivalent we have here on campus, but I'd guess that we probably contribute enough to the technology budget to suggest that students probably absorb nearly all of the associated cost.

Since the Oregon-IX is located on campus, I'd imagine we had at least a 100mb connection to it, hopefully gigabit.
Then there is an OC-3 to the Eugene Gigapop which would connect to NERO/OWEN.
I don't know NERO/OWEN has to connect to the outside internet, but I'd guess it's pretty beefy, since traffic averages in the 100-150MB/sec range.
As I said, most of the budget for CC comes out of the general fund, so no, the students don't cover it.

Note: The above is my own conjecture and observations, if anyone with
more concrete information wants to correct me, please do.

With open wifi, it still can be
detected, but nothing can be done about it.

Have you missed the several times I have mentioned registration? I have not advocated completely open access.

They have your name, address, social security number, possibly your ODL number, and contact phone numbers.

All of which they could easily obtain from someone applying for access.

Even so, you still have not given me a good reason why you should get for
free something I pay $100 a term for.

Well, I was over on the OU campus the other day. Used quite a bit of internet access while waiting for them to find my books. Would you like to send me a bill for that as well?
How about the facilities I use on campus when I meet friends? Want to charge me an hourly fee to use the track?

However, the point is not cost. The point is that, within reason, the facilities and resources of the University should be open to the Oregon public.
There are plenty of technical solutions to the problem of overuse. OU already has trafficshapers, it would be trivial to limit non-University accounts during times of heavy traffic. And unlike the books I mentioned above, my using the wireless doesn't prevent another student from using it.
It is also easy to link usernames to MAC addresses to prevent account sharing and track down illegal activity.
Wireless is quite simply no different from wired access, and should be treated accordingly.

-ajb

(Gah, I just noticed that my spellchecker is broken, so I apologize for any misspelled words in advance)