see below for my responses inline...

Ken Barber wrote:

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 3:07 pm, Max Lemieux wrote:

2 questions about the PPC CD's:

1) is there a torrent?
2) does it boot on Old-World G3? (i.e. beige 233/desktop rev1 G3)

<snip>

Ken Barber wrote:

Longer answer: You CAN boot an OW Mac if you use BootX. Basically it lets MacOS start, then takes over and loads the Linux kernel from your MacOS System folder.

I've heard of it, but I didn't have a MacOS install at the time I installed Linux so that wasn't an option, unfortunately. (or fortunately - I shudder to think of the combined boot time of Classic MacOS and Linux).

I have Yellow Dog Linux 4 running here on a beige G3/333. It was a pain in the *** to get it installed onto an Old World machine, but it can be done. It's very stable and a pleasure to use as long as you don't care about the audio. They're still working on that part (some apps work; some do not).

Yeah, I never had sound on that machine, not even when it was running OS 9 (I suspect hardware problems). I take it you do have partial sound support on the G3? OSS? ALSA? I wasn't savvy enough to mess with kernel modules at that point... so never got to play with it much. Soon, I hope. Ironic since painless sound was one of the best features of those machines....

General agreement re: stability and pleasure. Running modern software on that ancient hardware just makes me grin. :)

Ken