I thought that the latest moz/firefox used XML for bookmarks, but I might be spinning myths here....

I personally use a cool PHP/MySQL webapp called "bookmark4u", which is a web-based bookmark manager. It has some great features, my favorite being the javascript "bookmarklet" which you can add into any browser you use [which you also log into the webapp with]... the link it creates for you is best-used in the bookmarks toolbar folder, and the only javascript it uses is document.link and document.title
Possibly if I just provide the project link, you can find out more for yourselves :)

http://bookmark4u.sourceforge.net/

I've been thinking about submitting a patch to add icons next to any bookmarks which tie into other cool services like archive.org, google cache, stumbleUpon, technorati. del.icio.us, etc...

regards,

  Ben

PS - this tool is VERY relevant to this thread, because with it, you can import bookmarks from IE, Opera, and Mozilla-based browsers, re-organize them, and re-export them ;-))