On Sun, 15 May 2005, horst wrote:

> I got a nice offer for a practically new box, either with K8N, or K8V ASUS
> board, Athlon 64 2800. The K8N box has Win2000 on it, but I had some
> limited time to inspect it from Knoppix 3.6 . There were problems
> recognizing the onboard ethernet 'card', and the sound 'card'; a second
> (real) NIC was recognized fine. Next time I'll get a chance to look at
> either the K8N, or the K8V I'll be armed with Knoppix 3.8 .
>
> Search results pointing to individual posts are naturally more about
> problems then satisfactory installs. So what are the more objective sites
> to check hardware compatibility and other issues?
> Here is one I found:
>   http://www.linux-tested.com/
>   (also reporting problems with those onboard sound and network chips)
>
>   - what are you using to check on linux hardware compatibility?
>   - anyone experience with the K8N or V8V boards ?
>   - what motherboard would you chose for a solid workstation (nothing
> bleeding-edge/game oriented, just a significant improvement over my 5+
> years old K7 650MHz ((I haven't looked into motherboard issues since then
> and, looking at the current market, feel like a newbie))
>
>   - Horst

After getting burned with an unreliable mother (Abit KD7 KT400)
I followed advice from Shannon Dealey and perused the overclocking
web sites.  From there I selected a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2.  I
also selected RAM from that site. Works great.  Of course I don't
overclock.  I leave that to children.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/