T. Joseph CARTER wrote:

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:34:03AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
I realize that this won't stop people from using it to avoid having to
reboot to play games, but IMO it should.
Are you trying to say that Transgaming is more evil than Microsoft?
You're going to need more than a weird Debian-slap to make that one
stick.

Microsoft never pretended to be a free software company.  Microsoft has
never threatened free software producers (which isn't to say it hasn't
tried to undermine them..)

Also, a friend of mine told me (and the world actually) that certain
people who used to work at Corel had been passing around memos talking
about Debian and the GPL and how they didn't have to follow the latter
because Debian didn't have legal backing to challenge them in court.  She
was fired for "revealing company secrets", and Corel was forced into
compliance.  However, we know Corel's Linux business fell apart, and the
people who were sending these memos (the same ones) now run Transgaming.

Now, I trust my friend.  You don't know my friend, so you have no reason
to trust her.  However, Microsoft has never tried to make GPL code
proprietary (or at least, never enough of it that they've been caught!)

Your choices are an 800lb gorilla who is scary because it's 800lb or a
200lb gorilla who is scary because he'll rip your lungs out.

This is a very interesting story.. but hasnt that happened before ? Like OSX is based upon BSD right ? and OSX is proprietary right ? how'd they do that ? Who'd they pay off ? or is it just a matter of no one has backing to go after them ?

I agree that free is a very good price and I believe in free ( and alslo the larger tennants that are the backbone of the GPL ) But if I have to have something and cant get it for free Im forced to bow to the monopoly, or the comglomerate , or something. .. I dont like it, but I accept it out of nesessity.