Here's what I do.

Open a terminal, become root, run "dmesg", plug in the camera,
turn it on, run "dmesg" again. You're only looking at the last
few lines. Your camera is likely /dev/sda. "mount /dev/sda1
/mnt/???, rsync /mnt/???/dcim/nikon???/*.jpg /home/me/pics/,
chown -R me /home/me/pics. You can also rsync as a normal user.
Read permissions on the device may be limited depending upon
your distro.

Replace the ??? with actual names. Your file structure on the
Nikon is like I described. Use tab completion if you're trying
it this way. For instance "rysnc /mnt/???/dc<tab> will
automatically get you "dcim/", then <tab> again to get the
directory with your pics.