Does HTML beat out RTF (rich text format) for this use, for you?  Some of you out there might be interested in using UnionFS to help version your documents or code/projects:
http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html

Also:  I thought OOo's docbook has some sense of versioning within the format, I'm prolly wrong tho :)

One further idea, a little out there:  you could setup an OOo working environment which would copy part or all of your document to a local database, each time you save it, and then you could have a system external to OOo pull from that DB and do what you like with an external VCS.  You could of course throw the file in as a zipped blob or XML, etc, and also put in time/date, total #chars/words/etc, and then script up the decompilation of minimized differences between the versions.

And to further refer to zimbra, I'd like to mention Zimlets:
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Zimlets
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimletUtil
neato :)

   Ben