I had a vague memory that setting the directory's suid or guid
bit would cause the file to take on the directory's ownership.
But I can't find the documentation for it.  Anyway, I just
tried it and it works.  This might solve your problem.

$ mkdir ed; ls -dFl ed
drwxr-xr-x  2 abrown users 1024 2006-08-27 17:17 ed/

$ sudo bash
# chown kedwardk.kedwardk ed
# chmod 2777 ed; ls -dFl ed
drwxrwsrwx  2 kedwardk kedwardk 1024 2006-08-27 17:17 ed/

$ touch ed/a; ls -Fl ed/.
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 abrown kedwardk 0 2006-08-27 17:19 a

That was for group.  You should be able to get user forcing
if you want.
--
Allen Brown  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
  The world rewards action.  It doesn't reward much of anything else.

Martin Kelly wrote:
I've been having a problem with my Apache setup in that I'm not sure what user I should run it under. The default is www-data, and I could just add myself to the www-data group and be able to edit it under my user (martin). The problem with that is that when I create files with my normal user, they will be owned by martin and thus inaccessible to Apache. I could just edit the files with the www-data user, but that is annoying in terms of syncing together various files (.vimrc and such) between /home/martin and /home/www-data.

I attempted to have Apache run under the user martin by adding the following in my Apache config:

User martin
Group martin

but when I try to have a script create a directory, for example, it returns "Permission Denied." This is Apache 2.0.55.

Does anybody have a good solution for this? For example, is there a way to make all files created by me in /var/www owned by www-data instead?

Thanks all.